• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Fasting Megathread

MilliVanilli

Bluelighter
Okay, so recently I have been reading into fasting a lot lately, and thus, have a keen interest to try it.

Basically, I have (I think) the main ideas around it sussed out such as eating raw foods for the days leading up to when you start, start fasting for only a day or 2 at first, and eventually move onto 3 and 4 the more regularly you do it, snack on raw foods during it, keep fluids up etc etc.

I really want to give it a whole hearted attempt in the next few weeks sometime. From what I gather, it can have great health benefits on both mind and body, and it will also be a personal achievement for myself if I can carry it out properly.

So basically, I am curious as to others stories on trying it? How did you carry out yours? Have you found it to be beneficial to your health?

Any info would be super :)

MV

If fasting is what I think it is, not eating, then there is no way it is good for your body. That is the bottom line, it's just dumb.

^wow, great insight there

sorry i dont have any advice for you, but felt i needed to comment on that well reasoned post :\

Well if you did a little research before posting that comment, you probably wouldn't of sounded so ignorant.

And thank you daysonatrain.

The Fasting Thread

I did a quick search for a fasting thread, and seeing none, I decided to start this one. I apologize if there already is one.

Anywho, I specifically want to hear from those who have researched it and/or done it. No one saying "why starve yourself?" or making annoying remarks like that.

If you have fasted before, did it benefit you? What would you have done differently? Why did you do it? Do you have any tips or reminders?

I already know the basics:

start with about 7 days
after about the 3rd day hunger pangs go away
it's for cleansing purposes
break it gently, with juice n fruit n soup n stuff
Hydrate

I'd like to know about things you can do to boost the cleansing process, like sweats, exercise, sunbathing, or anything like that.

I think it makes sense to give up smoking for the fast. In fact, I've heard that fasting can decrease cravings for some people.

some of my vegan friends (dont get me fucking started... 8) ) use fasting as a means of detoxification. its not done very often (for obvious reasons), and really only should be done when you have guaranteed meals ahead of you.

after a day (24 hours) of fasting, i believe raw vegetables are introduced to the diet. the following day, complex carbs are minimally introduced, but mainly the body is subsisting on fruits and vegetables. on the third day, the normal diet resumes (nuts/legumes, bread, etc).

i dont know the science behind it, but i have a hunch its an effective way of cleaning out a lot of junk in your guts.

personally id rather just eat a lot of citrus fruits in the morning (Bikram diets suggest this for scrubbing the intestines).

fasting for non dietary/health reasons is a totally different ballgame (religious, etc).

Untill more studies are done... I remain pretty skeptical... it makes sense in theory but it also sounds really harsh on the body...

Also, I love food too much too go a day with out it... much less a week!

The best way to detoxify ur body is to have a good diet. If u only introduce good things into ur body the toxins will attach to them and be released. Like eating good fats will get rid of toxins as the toxins attach to them and get released.

Is there definite proof that fasting is good for detoxification. One theory for it might be that if u don't eat, cells get pressured to release their surplus stuff and therefore release toxins. But in real life I think when cells don't get food they hoard what they have and release even less than in normal eating.

So what's the biological basis for fasting?

Absolutely nothing wrong with intermittent fasting IMHO, other than maybe it's becoming faddish lol... But really, it's pretty invigorating when you get used to it. I found it to be a great way to get rid of unwanted fat while maintain muscle and getting stronger. I don't always do a full water fast though... I just skip meals so I take in much less calories than I would have. If you just fast or partially fast one or two days a week.. that adds up over the year... to massive fat loss, better joints, more strength, more lean body mass. This is especially true if you do some moderate strength training during the week. It'll keep your bones and muscles strong and does so more than always being in a fed state would accomplish. Obviously, fasting and starving are two different things. You can eat a lot less, but more filling and nutrient dense foods, so your body isn't craving specific nutrients(leading to all sorts of strange/junk food binges).

There are many kinds of fasts, or abstaining from food. They can be part of everyone's life and a practical tool if you listen to your body.

I personally fast when I am coming down with a cold, helping me to get rid of mucus without making my body produce some that is food-related. I also fast after a particularly food-heavy season like Christmas or those long famly affairs with neverending buffets. I have fasted for more than a day, but I think generally a day gets me right.

You can do small fasts by decreasing your food intake to very small, by skipping a meal, or by setting aside a day a week for very light activity in your digestive system. This almost always has a very nice effect on energy levels and clarity of mind, as well as a clear tongue and pleasant breath :D

I would generally initially advise smaller meals to see how good this can make you feel if you are accustomed to overeating (recommended amounts for office people who sit all day are just actually the size of your two palms cupped!). If you have been having a particular gunky week, try to eat very small meals on Sunday or something attainable like that. This will also get your digestion going again if it has been "dampened" by overeating.

I also think that many, regular small fasts, along with eating moderately and according to your activity level, are more beneficial than infrequent, long, taxing fasts. Those are more detox and cleansing fasts, and often need to be done with supervision OR if you understand what is happening to your body, not just read guides off the internet. Some body types are more easily put under fasting. If you have dry skin, have anxiety issues, are skinny, you are likely to get out of whack and even more anxious and flighty if you fast.

I do believe that religious fasts have their roots in health. Even the old rule of Catholics that say you cannot eat before Holy Mass very much helps in concentration and preventing mass-goers from the notorious "food coma".

For smokers who fast, do you give up nicotine too?

if someone is fasting as a way to cleanse it seems counterproductive to also smoke tobacco. personally i don't understand how withholding nutrients is healthy, but i've been hearing a lot of people talk about the lemon juice and cayenne pepper fast lately. i guess it's called the master cleanse.

i did my cleanse with raw food and a 15-day program of herbal/mineral supplements and it felt pretty effective. i'd compare that to a full fast if i could, but i start to break down mentally if i don't eat every few hours.

Fasting

Has anyone here ever tried fasting?

It's more than just intentionally stopping eating as going without food and water is very bad for your body.

I've only fasted before getting bloodwork done and that was tough enough as I'd get very light headed and tired even though I was drinking water.

When I was younger I was involved with a church and they did a 24 hour juice fast to raise money for various charities and food programs but I never participated in it.

If you have done fasting what was it like? Why did you do it? Did you do a juice fast? Was it spiritual or religious at all, if so how?

I water fasted before taking heavy duty spiritual mushroom trips on a few occasions. It heightened my mind set and cleared my thoughts for more philosophical and grounded thinking. Physically I felt weakened of course, and I couldn't wait to break the fast each time during the trip. The duration of the fast on each occasion was only a day or so.

Now that I lead a very busy lifestyle and go to the gym 3-4 times a week, I think fasting would be very counterproductive to my fitness goals, and I can hardly lose any weight without being too lean as it is. I can't stand going for more than a few hours without eating, although I eat almost 100% clean, nutrient dense food.

So my opinion from my very limited experience is as follows: fasting for weight loss good, fasting for spiritual enlightenment good, fasting for no reason bad, fasting if you have a high metabolism or are very active bad, fasting to mark a life change good.

That's about it. :)

I did a juice fast last month. Only for about 3-4 days though, but it was good. Organic pineapple and apple juice, mixed together, watered down (I did maybe a half cup of juice to water, and maybe 3-4 cups a day).

I also did salt water flushes and a liver flush to complete the cleanse. It was very very good for me. All sorts of weird stuff was improved afterwards, from my sense of balance to my sleep.

I did 21 days on water/lemon juice/maple syrup (a popular fast) a couple years ago. After the 2nd or 3rd day your hunger goes away, you feel energetic. The entire time you feel extremely clear-headed. I have a terrible memory and the inability to keep track of people's names, but just one day of not eating food and my mind becomes so much sharper. After returning to regular food I instantly became sick and felt terrible eating solid foods.

These days, however, I've come to the conclusion that extended fasts are not beneficial for someone attempting to maintain a certain physique (unless you're Gandhi). I do think, however, that a water only fast on a prescribed day of the week (Sunday makes the most sense) is probably a good thing.

I associate fasting with religion. My grandmother is in her 90's and still does it for 24 hours over the weekend and prays the whole day, I think it's really ethereal of her, seems to do her the world of good too. That's all I really know.

I did the master cleanse thing about a decade ago. Maple syrup with lemon juice and water; it's tasty hot or cold and gives you enough calories so you don't collapse. The first time I fasted for seven days, and the next year for ten days.

The first time round I'd been drinking a lot of alcohol and coffee and smoking a pack a day so the first three days were bad. Severe headaches, restlessness and misery. Once you're past that it gets a lot better. Very calm and your senses become sharper - colours are brigher, smells stronger. I wasn't exactly bursting with energy but enjoyed slow walks in the park. Surprisingly I never felt hungry, but after a while I was craving flavour. I smoked a bit of weed each evening, which you're not supposed to do, but...

Part of the process is drinking a pint of lukewarm water with salt each morning to flush out your intestines. Effective and disgusting. Like the scene in Alien - I was horrified to discover what had been lurking inside my body.

My motives were mostly spiritual, I suppose. At the time I'd recently got into spirituality through LSD and was interested in non-drug ways of inducing altered states.

The experience was positive but no way would I do it now. All the talk about ridding the body of toxins doesn't stand up to scientific scrutinity, and now I'd be more worried about the potential for damage. And I've turned against that kind of ostentatious spirituality: it's too much of an ego trip.